gipc: child processes and IPC for gevent¶
gipc (pronunciation as in “gipsy”) is an open source Python library created by Jan-Philip Gehrcke. It provides reliable child process management and inter-process communication (IPC) in the context of gevent.
This documentation applies to gipc 1.0.0. It was built on Dec 15, 2018.
Table of contents:
- Background & Terminology
- I/O-bound: many execution units, practically all of them wait at any given time
- Single-threaded event-driven architecture with coroutines
- Cooperative scheduling vs. preemptive scheduling
- Given all of that – what is gevent and why do we need gipc?
- “Asynchronous” vs. “synchronous”
- More than one event loop?
- When would you want to use gipc, specifically?
- What are the challenges and what is gipc’s solution?
- gipc’s architecture in a nutshell
- Is gipc reliable?
- Notes for Windows users
- API reference
- Author, license, contact